Friday 3 July 2015

Melting

Hello from Hudiksvall.

I am currently sheltering out of the heat and sun in a library. It's pretty warm out there and the tarmac is pretty sticky in places.

I have a bit more time on my hands this time so can let you know a bit more what's been happening.

The first days's ride was tough and I was greatful to arrive at my stop for the day
Bridge to Lindigö and Darryll and Emily's



The 2nd and 3rd day of the ride I have been riding with a friend, Darryll. It's been great to have a local alongside me, especially navigating out of Stockhölm.It would have been very easy to have got hoplessly lost otherwise. The city is surrounded by water and some great spots on the outskirts
Outskirts of Stockholm 


 We didn't make it as far North as we were expecting so pitched up at Norrtäjle.

The next day I felt much better on the bike and we headed on our way . We had a bit of a time to keep as Darryl needed to be back in the city for the vening so we ploughe on at a fair pace. Towards the end of the ride we ended up on some great stretches of road, just as the sun came out . A lot of the section of the route I am follwing heads along roads like this with no car for 2 hours sometimes. I hope that I don't get a mechanical on a section like this!
Darryll enjoying the ride 

When we arrived at Öosterbybruk we siad out goodbye's and Darryl headed off to get the train. I was now back to being a solo rider. It was great to have company but it also felt good to be on my own for the next few days at least. The village had ana amazing campsite and I went for my first swim in the lake. I didn't have the balls to jump off the diving boards as it was full of kids jumping from the top one.
Night swimming 


A few of the villages I have been passing through are old steel / iron works from the 19th century and they have been well preserved and turned into tourist attractions with small cafe's
Axmar Bruk

Axmar Bruk 
It's been great riding in sunshine and hardly any wind.

It's looking likely I will get a bus train from Sundsvall to Umeä as I am a bit short of time at the pace I am going. This allows me a little more time to explore places and go for swims in the lakes rather than aiming to do 160KM a day which is hard going.

All in all though things are good, the people are friendly and the roads interesting. Here's a few more pictures to finish up

Cheers 
Dry stone walling, Swedish Style 

Thankfully no headwind on this section. 5 miles , no turn 

Two of my favourite things combined 


No comments:

Post a Comment